Marriage Licenses

Applying for a Marriage License in Goshen

Marriage intentions cost $20 cash or check, and must be done in person in the Clerk’s office, with both parties present.

  • Please bring your Driver’s Licenses and know your Social Security numbers.
  • Have ready for filing:
    • Planned date and place of marriage
    • Your names, address and telephone number, and any planned name changes
    • Name and address, Tel # of the Officiant: e.g. One Day Solemnizer, JP, Pastor Etc.
    • Place of birth for both you and your partner – City and State
    • Your parents’ names (including mother’s maiden name), and their place of birth – it will be listed on the marriage license
  • After the forms are filled out, the couple then completes an oath with the Clerk.  In most cases there is a three day waiting period during which the license is prepared by the Clerk’s Office.  One or both parties must return to the Clerk’s Office to pick up the license after the prescribed waiting period; the marriage cannot be solemnized by your officiant without the license in hand.
  • Once obtained, the marriage certificate is valid for 60 days from the date the intentions are filed and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town.  The license is not valid outside of the state.
  • The officiant must be registered with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to solemnize a marriage.
    • The Goshen Town Clerk is a Justice of the Peace and has the legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies.  Those desiring a civil ceremony should contact the Town Clerk for further information:  Fees for this service are mandated by the State:  one-hundred ($100) dollars to solemnize a marriage within the JP’s home community, or one hundred and fifty ($150) dollars if the ceremony is performed in any other municipality in the commonwealth.
    • If an out-of-state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage, a special certificate must be obtained from the Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to performing the ceremony.  For more information regarding this, click here.  The original certificate must be filed with the Town Clerk with the marriage certificate.
    • The Governor’s Office may issue a certificate authorizing a citizen to solemnize a specified marriage on a specified day, commonly known as a One Day Solemnizer.  For more information regarding this, click here to visit the State’s website for information and an application.  The original certificate must be filed with the Town Clerk with the marriage certificate.
  • It is the responsibility of the officiant to complete the marriage certificate (this must be done in black ink) and send it back to the Town Clerk’s office for recording with the state.  The certificate is not valid until it has been recorded in the office from where it originated.
  • The $20 fee for the marriage intention includes one certified copy of your marriage license.  Additional certified copies of marriage licenses cost $5.00 each.

For additional information, or to set up an appointment to apply for a marriage license, please contact the Town Clerk’s office: 413-268-8236 x107,

Close window